For the Grace of God

Father, thank You for making me alive in Christ! I declare that Jesus is my Lord and Saviour, and because He died for me, I can live the abundant life here on earth. Help me stay focused on You this day & live with the enthusiasm that comes from knowing You in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Alack Alas...a tale of a pole never quiet reached

...it is a fair weather friend that I seek, and nay, I do so much and seem to gain nothing but vainglory.
Is this a dagger I see before me...
  the truh is out Sctt never made it to the south pole and Amundsen pre- umptedhim totally, arriving at the pole about five weeks before te doomed Scott party reached their end..

Oh well, even the good must die; it is a bitter pill, but someone must take it.

In January 1913, before Terra Nova left for home, a large wooden cross was made by the ship's carpenters, inscribed with the names of the lost party and Tennyson's line from his poem Ulysses: "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield", and was erected as a permanent memorial on Observation Hill, overlooking Hut Point.[97] A century of storms and snow have covered the cairn and tent, which are now encased in the Ross Ice Shelf as it inches towards the Ross Sea. In 2001 glaciologist Charles R. Bentley estimated that the tent with the bodies was under about 75 feet (23 m) of ice and about 30 miles (48 km) from the point where they died; he speculated that in about 275 years the bodies would reach the Ross Sea, and perhaps float away inside an iceberg.[98]


No comments: