For the Grace of God

Father, thank You for making me alive in Christ! I declare that Jesus is my Lord and Saviour, and because He died for me, I can live the abundant life here on earth. Help me stay focused on You this day & live with the enthusiasm that comes from knowing You in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

No Problem!

There are a few main ways to say "you're welcome" in French:
  • Je vous en prie / Je t'en prie
I feel this is a little more formal than the others, but is the canonical French response to "thank you". In some sense, it can be equivalent to "don't worry about it".
  • Pas de problème
Google translate was right. It is widely used, it's informal and it likely comes from English in the first place.
  • De rien
This phrase likely comes from the Spanish de nada. Rien means "nothing", so it could be somewhat analogous to "don't give it a second thought". But shorter and more informal.
  • Bienvenue
This is the literal translation of "welcome". Very used in Canada, but less so in other French-speaking countries as it is considered an anglicism. Its correct use is mostly one of greeting or of appreciation, like when you say, for example, that relief is welcomed.

No comments: